According to the information received from the operating organization (NRC KIPT), the following damages to the NSI “Neutron Source” resulting from the site shelling by Russian troops on 26 March 2022 have already been identified:
- significant damage to the thermal insulation lining of the NSI “Neutron Source” building;
- partial shedding of lining materials in the experimental hall of the installation.
The personnel continue inspecting buildings, structures, and installation equipment to identify damages.
The probability of new damage to the research nuclear installation remains quite high due to the constant shelling of the area of the NSI “Neutron Source” location.
The situation at the NSI “Neutron Source” as of 27 March 2022, 16:00:
- the nuclear installation has been transferred into a deep subcritical state (“long-term shutdown” mode since 24 February 2022);
- operational personnel monitor the state of the NSI “Neutron Source”;
- off-site power supply to the NSI “Neutron Source” is absent;
- the on-site radiation situation is within the standard limits;
- the personnel continue implementing measures to eliminate the consequences of the hostilities and maintain the operability of the nuclear installation equipment in the conditions of constant shelling and bombing of the site to the extent possible.
Please note the NSI “Neutron Source”, as well as any other nuclear installation, is not designed for operation in conditions of combat operations. Continuation of the site shelling can lead to severe radiation consequences and contamination of the surrounding territories.