According to the information received from the operating organization (NRC KIPT), the situation at the NSI “Neutron Source” remains unchanged as of 25 March 2022:
- the nuclear installation has been transferred into a deep subcritical state (“long-term shutdown” mode since 24 February 2022);
- operational personnel monitor the state of the NSI “Neutron Source”;
- off-site power supply to the NSI “Neutron Source” is absent, due to constant shelling of the adjacent territories, there is no possibility to restore it;
- the on-site radiation situation is within the standard limits;
- the personnel continue implementing measures to eliminate the consequences of the hostilities and maintain the operability of the nuclear installation equipment.
The probability of new damage to the research nuclear installation remains quite high due to the constant shelling of the area of the NSI “Neutron Source” location. For the same reason, no measures have yet been taken to dispose of the explosive ordinance (previously classified as an unexploded rocket of the multiple launch rocket system 9K58 “Smerch”), which was detected in the immediate vicinity of the installation.
Please note the NSI “Neutron Source”, as well as any other nuclear installation, is not designed for operation in conditions of combat operations. Continuation of bombing and/or shelling can lead to severe radiation consequences and contamination of the surrounding territories.